Meet Leighton Baker
Leighton Baker, Leader of New Conservative, and candidate for Waimakiriri, is a husband, father, grandfather, and successful business owner.
Having moved from Auckland to his wife’s hometown of Rangiora near on 30 years ago, he now calls Waimakiriri home, and can’t imagine a better place to live and raise a family.
Over the last three decades, Leighton has worked with at-risk youth, trained up multiple apprentices, and supported local businesses through his construction business.
Leighton’s passion for politics was spurred by the actions of successive governments who continued to ignore the voting population between election cycles, and their ongoing failure to recognise that they are elected to serve New Zealand’s best interests, not their own. There is no clearer demonstration of this than the fact that no New Zealand government has ever honoured a citizens-initiated referendum, even when those referenda have gained 90% support from voters.
Leighton’s goals in politics are:
- To serve voters by making citizens-initiated referenda binding.
- To serve tax payers by ensuring good stewardship of the taxes paid.
- To serve families by acknowledging the pivotal role they play in the development of healthy, well-adjusted children.
- To serve victims of crime by putting in place systems that are successful in rehabilitating offenders, but which also make them accountable to change.
- To serve New Zealand’s interests on the world stage by protecting our sovereignty and putting our nation ahead of international agreements made by non-elected officials.
- To serve the people of New Zealand by bringing a bit of reality and experience to parliament as someone who is not afraid to call a spade, “a spade”, and who will stand up for truth.