New Zealand - Israel Relations Position Statement
New Conservative is of the view that Israel is a sovereign nation and should be recognised as such. Many Israeli diaspora have made New Zealand their home and are valuable contributors to our communities and economy. There is also significant potential for growing trade with Israel, that would be facilitated by formal recognition of its sovereignty.
New Conservative will:
- establish a New Zealand Embassy in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem immediately.
- recognise Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights.
- apologise to Israel for New Zealand’s sponsoring of Resolution 2334.
- strengthen trade ties with Israel. We recognise Israel’s world leading advances in technology, and their stability and financial success. We want an innovation agreement with Israel to be fast tracked so we both benefit from technology gains.
- support a negotiated solution to the Arab-Israeli conflict.
- uphold the right for Israel to defend itself against international threats and protect its borders.
- encourage and financially help surrounding Arab nations to grant full citizenship to refugees in order to reduce conflict between the refugees and Israel.
- condemn any United Nations efforts to continue UNRWA, immediately stop our funding for it, and look for sensible solutions to ensure the wellbeing of refugees.
- promote harsh penalties for those involved in racial/ethnic violence.
- adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of anti-semitism as a means of education.
- support the New Zealand-Israel Parliamentary Friendship Group, and other organisations such as NZ Friends of Israel Association Inc.